Make A Day Of It!
Why not follow some of our suggested itineraries to get the most out of your day at Kents Cavern! We've provided some suggestions below on how you can explore the caves, woodlands and beaches all in our local area...
This circular led walk leaves from Kents Cavern and along parts of the South West Coastal footpath. Discover along the way 400-million-year-old rocks at Hopes Nose, raised beaches and reveal a story of global climate change endured by ancient Ice Age people.
- Arrive at Kents Cavern (use our car park for a £2 charge or park free on the road all day)
- Pick up a trail map from our Visitor Centre
- Self-led circular walk (2-3hrs)
- Finish off with lunch or a Devonian cream tea at Kents Cavern
The amazing story of Torbay's Devonian limestone does not start and end at Kents Cavern. Head to Berry Head nature reserve and witness some breath-taking views and even Britain's smallest (and highest) lighthouse! Step into the Stone Age with visits to Torquay Museum and Kents Cavern.
- Arrive at Berry Head nature reserve to explore; Southern & Northern Forts, Artillery Store, Bird Hide, Visitor Centre and spectacular coastal path
- Grab a coffee at the Guardhouse Café
- Head to Torquay Museum and step back in time and become one of Britain's earliest humans
- Finish your day at Kents Cavern and witness the site Prehistoric man used to inhabit.
Visit the most important locations within the English Riveria Geopark and witness the most significant geological areas of the last 385 million years.
- Head to Kents Cavern early and unearth the secrets of the Devonian and Quarternary periods. Learn all about the Great Victorian Excavation which uncovered the caves incredible history...
- Enjoy a cruise of the Geopark and take in some of the amazing scenery along the way. Contact Paignton Pleasure Cruises for boat times.
- Explore the Paignton Geoplay park for some fun, games and end your day on a high.
HISTORY & HERITAGE TRAIL
Learn more about the culture of Torquay by experiencing some of the best museums and attractions on offer. Take a journey in time from a medieval abbey, victorian life and Stone Age secrets.
- Torre Abbey - See the past of a medieval building that was once used by Canons belonging to a strict Augustinian Order. Find out more about the wealthy Cary Family who later transformed the building into a grand family home.
- Torquay Museum - journey through several time periods to explore the local history of Torbay.
- Kents Cavern - Step back in time through thousands of years to explore Torbay during the Ice Age and three different types of Prehistoric humans that inhabited it.