English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark
The English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark covers all of Torbay, Torquay, Paignton and Brixham. Across the English Riviera are spectacular rocks, red stained cliffs and soils. Four different time periods; Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian and Quaternary spanning 400 million years of history.
For a bespoke day out discovering the food and culture of the Geopark and other parts of Devon including wild and stunning Dartmoor.
The geological history of the Torbay area is fascinating. On your journey discover 400-million-year-old limestone layers, once part of a mountain range, becoming a vast desert land, to raised Ice Age beaches and the mega-fauna of the last glacial including; woolly mammoths, rhinos and hyenas.
MAKE A DAY OF IT!
The Geopark has some awesome places to see so why not spend a whole day exploring it. We've supplied some ideas below so or you can book a private tour guide here
Visit the most important locations within the English Riveria Geopark and witness the most significant geological areas of the last 385 million years.
- Kents Cavern - Head to Kents Cavern early and unearth the secrets of the Devonian and Quaternary periods. Learn all about the Great Victorian Excavation which uncovered the caves incredible history...
- Geocruise - Enjoy a cruise of the Geopark and take in some of the amazing scenery along the way. Contact Paignton Pleasure Cruises for boat times.
- Geoplay park - Explore the Paignton Geoplay park for some fun, games and end your day on a high.
HISTORY & HERITAGE TRAIL
Learn more about the culture of Torquay by experiencing some of the best museums and attractions on offer. Take a journey in time from a medieval abbey, victorian life and Stone Age secrets.
- Torre Abbey - See the past of a medieval building that was once used by Canons belonging to a strict Augustinian Order. Find out more about the wealthy Cary Family who later transformed the building into a grand family home.
- Torquay Museum - journey through several time periods to explore the local history of Torbay.
- Kents Cavern - Step back in time through thousands of years to explore Torbay during the Ice Age and three different types of Prehistoric humans that inhabited it.