Make A Day Of It!
Leave your car at the caves and go for a walk. Or you can follow one of our suggested itineraries to make the most of you day at Kents Cavern and on the English Riviera.
We've provided some suggestions below on how you can explore the caves, woodlands and beaches all in our local area...
A circular walk that starts at Kents Cavern and takes you along parts of the South West Coastal Path. Discover along the way 400-million-year-old rocks at Hopes Nose, raised beaches and reveal a story of global climate change endured by ancient Ice Age people.
- Book the first cave tour of the day
- Leave your car at Kents Cavern
- Pick up a trail map from the Ticket Desk
- Self-led circular walk (2hrs)
- Anstey's Cove, Hopes Nose, Meadfoot beach (where Darwin lived for a short time) and back to Kents Cavern
GEOTRAIL - DISCOVER THE ENGLISH RIVIERA UNESCO GLOBAL GEOPARK
Visit the most important locations in the English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark and take in some amazing geology that began 385 million years ago. The amazing story of Torbay's Devonian limestone is all across Torbay. Start at Kents Cavern, head to Berry Head Nationla Nature Reserve in Brixham and witness some breath-taking views, you might even spot some porpoises and see England shortest but highest lighthouse. Step back into the Stone Age with visits to Torquay Museum.
- Book the first tour at Kents Cavern
- Drive to Torquay harbour and park up for the day.
- Take the ferry from Torquay harbour to Brixham
- From Brixham fish town and walk up to Berry Head National Nature Reserve (30 mins walk). Explore the south and north Napoleonic forts, the Artillery Store, see the guillemots from the bird hide.
- Have a Devon Cream Tea at the Guardhouse Café
- Head back to Torquay (catch the No 22 bus from Brixham to Torquay harbour. Finish your day at Kents Cavern and witness the site Prehistoric man used to inhabit.
HISTORY & HERITAGE TRAIL
Learn more about the culture of Torquay by experiencing some of the best museums and attractions on offer. Take a journey in time from a medieval abbey, victorian life and Stone Age secrets.
- Kents Cavern - Step back in time through thousands of years to explore Torbay during the Ice Age and three different types of Prehistoric humans that once lived here.
- Torre Abbey - See the past of a medieval building that was once used by Canons belonging to a strict Augustinian Order. Find out more about the Cary Family and their priest Fr John MacEnery who explored Kents Cavern in the 1820s.
- Torquay Museum - journey through several time periods to explore the local history of Torbay.